While I started blogging about SL as just an experiment, and a pastime, it’s honestly become something of a commitment and a pleasure to me. I have fun taking pictures of new things, finding things I didn’t know about and (hopefully) you didn’t know about too. I do cultivate a weird relationship to seriousness around here: I take not being serious VERY seriously. It’s just more fun for me and for you that way, I figure.
The fact I’ve gotten over 3100 views since early February, without joining any feeds or really doing much promotion at all? Says to me that people must be having fun with it too. You wouldn’t bother reading if it was boring, right?
Thank you for entertaining my desire to amuse and to entertain. I hope the next four and a half months are just as much fun for us all!
By the way, if you’re doing something fun inworld, or something interesting or unique, please do feel free to let me know about it: you might well wind up right here where you’re reading this!
Here’s a bit of a teaser from the new thing I found inworld today: more to come tomorrow, when I can give you more useful information.
WTF first, meme second:
So just now I happened to get an image, searching in flickr for ‘stackable’, from WeiMing Electronic Co., Ltd. I only clicked because I was curious who was doing that furniture in SL and as it turned out- RL imitates SL. Huh!
And now, yet another Monday Meme from Strawberry Singh.
Monday Meme Instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers into your blog post, delete my answers and input your own. Remember to leave your link in this meme’s comments so we can all come by, read your answers and secretly judge you.
- Which was the last sim you visited? (Other than your home) Aurora Vale
- Does your avatar look like the real you? I’d say no, but my RL mother thinks he does, so…
- Do you wear underwear/panties underneath your clothing when out and about on the grid? Really, only when wearing a system-cloth T-shirt.
- If you won a million linden dollars, what would be the first thing you buy inworld? A sim, then, there would come the landscaping. Oh yes. The landscaping.
Some of that landscaping would likely come from Heart Garden Centre, whose sim I visited earlier today, to windowshop with a friend.
- Have you ever bought something in SL and then realized afterwards that you had already owned it from before? Once or twice- not terribly often. I did it for about L$500 early on in my SL, and the creator who I’d paid twice was regretful and polite about not refunding the money, so I got in the habit of checking my inventory for objects named whatever I’m about to click ‘OK’ on paying for.
- Have you ever done anything in Second Life that would be considered illegal in real life? Hmmm… yes, I think that I have.
- If you could go out on a date with any other avatar, who would it be? I really have no idea- I’ve gotten over the concept of asking other avatars out on dates.
- Who, in your opinion, was the greatest avatar to ever slive? Hmmm… Torley Linden seems an awfully pat answer.
- What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done inworld? Most recent was buying a demo of a clothing item ’cause the designer had promised to give me a copy if I did a review of the demo (!!), and at the same time I bought it, the designer had sent me a copy of the actual item. Which I then opened… and proceeded to act like a total newb about the way that things worked because the actual item had a bunch of options the demo didn’t. All because I didn’t pay attention to the upper-right corner of my screen, and I even got CRANKY with the poor designer over how what she said and what I saw were different things. *facepalm*
- If your avatar had a mind of its own, what do you think it would say to you? ‘I don’t want the world: I just want your half.’ – ‘Ana Ng‘, They Might Be Giants
While we all have our off days from time to time, we should take pains to remember that the evidence we leave of those bad days, online, is something that turns up when someone looks at where we’ve been and what we’re doing. Try to be nice to people from day to day, and if you do have a terrible rotten no-good day of it, try to apologize for what happened as soon as you recognize it.
It can be amazing what being a civil person will do for how people deal with you!
So a friend of mine did a rather amusing new blog challenge from Strawberry Singh yesterday that had me giggling at his response. Continue reading
Hi gang! Some time ago, I tried to put together a tutorial on landscape photography in Second Life. I kept promising myself I’d come back to it and I finally got all my ducks in a row, so- let’s try and show you my process. I went back to Sandalphon, where I’ve taken you before, to give us a simple straightforward ‘model’ for my experiments. Continue reading
But in the meantime, keep in mind that taking a good photo is not simply a game of ‘crank up the gamma’.
Well I’m the lucky goon
Who composed this tune
From birds arranged on the high wire…
-Elvis Costello, “Couldn’t Call It Unexpected #4”
And so, another post about stuff from the June 2013 iteration of The Arcade. Here’s the Vespertine Fabric Birds (two red song birds, which are a solo item themselves) and a teal sleepy owl (RARE), tucked into the broken cage (RARE). Continue reading
“Grab that Gretsch before the truth hits town”
You whispered to me as they fell
And when I’m safe and sound, with nothing left to send
the bugle sounds again.
-Aztec Camera, ‘The Bugle Sounds Again‘
So a while back I realized that Nath looked not unlike the erstwhile frontman of Aztec Camera, one acoustic-guitar-wielding songwriting-genius named Roddy Frame. I’ve loved the guy’s music for uhm… gee, decades now, and when I saw that this session of The Arcade had acoustic guitars in, I decided I knew what the photo I was going to take wearing one was.
This is the Standby ‘Classical Guitar [Drop]’, as well as the ‘Synthesizer’ from the ‘World Tour’ gacha that’s in The Arcade at the moment. And here’s Nath trying to look like Roddy Frame circa 1984.
In addition to the instruments, the scarf is another prize from the gachas at The Arcade this month, the Milk Motion ‘Cotton scarf – heart – orange’. While the colors aren’t exactly my style, I mostly picked this one out to showcase that yes, the scarf CAN be worn by a man, with a little finicking around with rotation of the mesh object this way and that. As I’m kind of a scarf junkie, I’ll likely go back and get some other colors / patterns of this beastie!
So yeah, more stuff from The Arcade. You can go to the Gacha Galley – an off-sim boat which floats near the pier that The Arcade’s built on – and shop from there. Here’s your taxi to the Gacha Galley.
Have you seen the little piggies, sat in a teacup?
As for all the little piggies, they’re going to buck up
While you can’t drink up
They are the ba-con!
(with apologies to George Harrison)
At first I thought it a dream that I was in.
Lost , lost in a sea of glass and tin.
But no, so dipping my hand in the back of my jeans,
I grabbed a handful of coins to feed the machines.
“Step up and play,” each machine seemed to say
As I walked round and round the penny arcade.
“Just ring the bell on the big bagatelle
And you’ll make all the coloured lights cascade.”
– Roy Orbison, ‘Penny Arcade’
So yeah, it’s that time of year again. The start of a new quarter, a new season, when The Arcade opens up to suck your wallet dry.
What’s there? Well. I’m so glad you asked.
The item from the Arcade in this photo are the two potted plants, the ‘Oolong Teacup Planters’ by ARIA, at a mere L$25 each! I put out an iris and a moth orchid for variety. But come inside, plenty more to see… Continue reading